Thursday, July 11, 2013

Onna Nobunaga review

Onna Nobunaga, a tanpatsu drama with 2 long episodes. It's a retelling of the history of Oda Nobunaga's conquest for Japan, but with a twist, he's actually a woman.

Sometimes, I will try watching and reviewing different types of drama. Maybe I can discover something that can interest you.


Synopsis (From DramaWiki):

In this altered edition of Japan’s history, Oda Nobuhide never had a second son but a daughter, who is still being raised as his heir and successor.

Cast: 


My review

Story

This is a retelling of Oda Nobunaga's life from his birth to the end. Nobunaga is a very well known historic figure, being the first samurai becoming a Shogun and conquering most of Japan. There was  many dramas about Nobunaga or featuring him. In this drama, Nobunaga is actually a woman who was raised as a boy to become the heir of the Oda family.

I might be wrong, I don't know much about Japan's history, but I think that it covered many real historic events and happenings in Nobunaga's life. You meet also many real historic people. As someone who doesn't know much about Japan Feudal era history and that is often confused by all the different families, this one was able to make sense to me. The story was well presented and made a lot of sense. I think they did a good job with the story. The fact that Nobunaga is a female blended well with the story and didn't seem out of place.

This tanpatsu is 2 episodes and they are long. Each are a movie's length. It was hard to keep my interest the whole time and watched in separated in a couple of days.

Acting

I do not really know about Oda Nobunaga's personality, but I thought that Amami Yuki did an amazing job here. It was as if this role was made for her. Indeed, Amami Yuki comes from Takarazuka, a theather where she was playing male roles.

Overall, I thought the acting was very good. I also thought that it had a good cast. The costumes and the visual effects were also very nice and beautiful.

Music

With two episodes only, I do not clearly remember the music. However, I do remember some of the songs were good, felt epic and fitted well with the settings. They were instrumental music which fits very well in a historical drama.

Recommendation

I do not really have anything similar to recommend. However, I loved this drama so much that it made me really interested in Taiga drama. I have tried some Taiga drama before, but I often felt lost. So, I  decided to start with something about Oda Nobunaga's life, called Nobunaga (1992). I was able to find that Taiga with english substitles! Then, I will try to follow with shows about Toyotomi and the Tokugawa's. 

4 comments:

  1. Not many interested in this short drama..

    The story is very long.. and struggle to catch up.. I cant even believe all the twisted incident happening... it was fun actually .. but not really satisfied with the ending...

    I came across this drama just because amani yuki.
    She is a great actor indeed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading ^^
      Yes, like I said I also thought it was very long! I could not watch it in 1 day. But this is not unusual for historical drama to drag a little bit.

      I was satisfied with the ending. (don't read this if you have not watched it yet, because spoilers), my boyfriend told me that historically ,Nobunaga's body was never discovered and just presumed dead.Thus the ending makes sense, but yeah I agree it is a bit weird too

      Delete
  2. If you have not seen it yet i highly recommend for you to watch tempest which is Japanese and Chinese Drama Female Prime Minister i am sure you will enjoy them.
    Have a blessed 2015....Greetings from Dominican Republic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, I think I have heard of it. Happy new year to you too! ^^

      Delete